Town Centre Edmonton Real Estate
Town Centre is not, as one would expect, the city centre of Edmonton. Rather, the name refers to the central part of the greater Mill Woods residential area, which encompasses over 20 residential neighborhoods in the south-central part of the city.
Being so centrally located, the area has a long history. Originally, the land on which Mill Woods now stands was settled by a group of Metis-Cree Indians, led by a man called John Papaschase. As such, the area was originally known as the Papachase Reserve, after just 15 years, the site was abandoned in 1891. At this time, the land was then taken over as part of the agricultural settlement that surrounded Edmonton. It remained in agricultural use for almost 80 years, until 1971 when the city of Edmonton began buying the land from Alberta province and preparing a development plan for the area. Originally, the area was given the name Mill Creek, later changed to Mill Woods to take into account the groves of trees which were growing in the creek.
As the Mill Woods residential area was conceived, city councilors saw fit to set aside a 250 acre sized parcel of land in its geographic centre, which would be reserved for the development of a town centre. Planners had provision of the Town Centre as a multiuse land project consisting of office developments, a regional shopping centre, educational facilities, commercial establishments, medium and high density housing. Being located at the heart of the Mill Woods community, the Town Centre today is seen as an important focal point for the community, where the majority of its commercial, social and cultural activities take place.
Town Centre in Mill Woods Edmonton
The official geographical boundaries of the town centre are as follows: 34 Avenue to the north, 50 Street to the east, 23 Avenue to the south and 66 Street to the west.